History of Practice

The origins of Raymond Terrace Family practice lie in the 1940s. Dr Widdup had a practice on Hunter St, Raymond Terrace.  Some patients recall attending this practice and waiting on the veranda to see the Doctor.   In the early 1950s the practice moved to 88 Port Stephens St, opposite the current Raymond Terrace Plaza.  Dr Keating came and joined Dr Widdup in 1955.

The practice was at this site when the infamous 1955 flood struck.

The practice remained at this site until July 2014 when it moved to the present site at 4 Jacaranda Avenue.

The practice over the years has had many Doctors come and go.Two long serving Doctors were Dr Bruce Keating and Dr Ian Walker. These 2 doctors served the community for many years.

The practice has been contributing to GP education for many years. Indeed, of the Doctors working in the practice at the moment, almost all have been GP registrars at the practice. The Raymond Terrace community is reaping the benefits of this training commitment with well-educated and trained GPs working in the local area.

The practice has been involved with teaching both Medical and Nursing students from Newcastle University for many years.  

The new building is the result of co-operation between Hunter and New England Area Health service and Raymond Terrace Family Practice. By joining forces, funding from both the State Government and the Federal Government was secured and the Health One GP Superclinic was built in 2014.